Sunday, February 15, 2015

Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian

Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5

18463661
Summary:
Most people get presents on their sixteenth birthday, I get a prophecy that could save or destroy the world.
It happens when you're the son of Poseidon, god of the Sea. According to an ancient prophecy, I turn sixteen and the fate of the entire world is on me. But no pressure.
Now Kronos, Lord of the Titans, is beginning his attack on New York City. And the dreaded monster Typhon is also heading our way. So it's me and forty of my demigod friends versus untold evil...

In One Word: Brilliant (exceptionally clever)

Plot:
The thing I loved most about this particular installment in this series is the fact that even though it has the most tense and nerve-wracking moments of all the previous books it also had the most humour and funny parts. I really love how the author manages to make you laugh out loud while at the same time making you hold your breath in anticipation for what’s going to happen next (trust me, it’s a really weird feeling, laughing while holding your breath at the same time...you should try it sometime). This book also managed to surprise me, which has not been happening that often lately, so it was pretty exciting that I couldn’t guess what was going to happen next. This also shows that even though it’s a middle-grade book, it isn’t predictable or too simple for older people to enjoy as well.

Characters:
I definitely think that this installment was the best as far as character-development went. Percy becomes a true hero, without completely losing himself and becoming a completely different person. I also liked how Grover went from an insecure, funny guy to a force to be reckoned with. Annabeth didn’t develop that much during this book, but she remains a great character. I also liked Thalia in this installment (if you read my previous review you’ll remember I didn’t like her all that much before), but I really like how she’s changed. Nico is still one of the more interesting characters in my opinion, but I preferred his portrayal in the previous book.

Who should read this:
10+, once again, mild violence, no sexual content or language and if you have problem with mythology, skip this series. If you’re searching for something similar to the first 2/3 books in the Harry Potter series then I definitely suggest these. I don’t think adults will enjoy this as much as younger people, but I do think there's something ageless about this series.

My rating:
This was my favourite book in the series. I loved the action and humor and the storyline and I really liked how the author ended the series, leaving it open enough to make me want to read ‘The Heroes of Olympus’, but not too much so it felt like the series didn’t end at all. 5/5

Quote:
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Read my reviews for 'The Lightning Thief', 'The Sea of Monsters', 'The Titan's Curse' and 'The Battle of the Labyrinth'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!