Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse

Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3

15995188
Summary:
It’s not every day you find yourself in combat with a half-lion, half-human.
But when you’re the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.
Oh and guess what. The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive.

In One Word: Exciting

Plot:
While the previous books in this series were really good and entertaining, this one stepped up the action and suspense quite a bit. It had way more surprises and twists than the previous ones and I really enjoyed that about it. Apart from that the author stays very consistent, the writing stays easy to read and humorous and the story stays interesting.

Characters:
There is quite a bit of character growth in this installment. Percy realizes what his fatal flaw is, and also learns to see other people more clearly. I still really like Annabeth and Grover, I think they’re great characters that compliment Percy very well. I did not, however, like Thalia all that much. I’m not sure exactly why, but I kept hoping that she wouldn’t stick around with the main characters. The villians are all pretty scary, but they’re not all completely evil (I think). My favourite part is still the humorous ways of the ‘gods’ (e.g. Apollo’s fascination with Haiku’s ever since he’s gotten back from Japan).

Who should read this:
10+, there’s a little violence, but almost no language and absolutely no sexual content. Again, if you have a problem with the whole mythological aspect of these books then don’t read them. If you enjoyed the previous 2 then I would definitely suggest continuing the series. I don’t think adults would really appreciate this series, but I also feel like older teens can enjoy them.

My rating:
I really enjoyed this book more than the previous ones, but not quite enough to give it 5 stars yet. So 4.5/5.

Quote:
Wow," Thalia muttered. "Apollo is hot."
"He's the sun god," I said.
"That's not what I meant.”

Read my reviews for 'The Lightning Thief' and 'Sea of Monsters'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!