Sunday, October 19, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2

580002
Summary: (WARNING: Possible Spoilers of previous book ahead!)
You can’t tell by looking at me that my dad is Poseidon, God of the Sea.
It’s not easy being a half-blood these days. Even a simple game of dodgeball becomes a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants – and that was only the beginning.
Now Camp Half-Blood is under attack and, unless I can get my hands on the Golden Fleece, the whole camp will be invaded by monsters. Big ones...

In One Word: Fun

Plot:
This book drew me in more than its predecessor, maybe because I now know the characters and start caring for them. I couldn’t put this installment down. It was exciting and funny and just a very entertaining read. I really like Riordan’s easy-going writing style and I think this series is everything a good middle-grade series should be.

Characters:
At first Percy annoyed me a little in this book. I felt like he hadn’t learned anything from his previous adventures and he was just as naive as before everything happened. However, this does change as the book progresses and we see him grow. I still really like Annabeth and in this book I felt like the reader gets to see another side to her, which is always good. Grover’s part in this book was just flat-out hilarious, even though he was in a life-threatening situation for most of it... (Possible spoiler: Luke also makes an appearance, and this time he’s even scarier and meaner than before). The new character ‘Tyson’ is also great and you really start caring for the guy. Overall the characters, both old and new, were very entertaining to read about.

Who should read this:
10+, there really aren't any  inappropriate for younger readers, except if you have a problem with the whole mythology aspect of it. If you’re looking for something fun and easy to read or looking for something for a 10-12-year old boy, then I definitely suggest this. I don’t think adults will love this series, but I do think older kids might.

My rating:
Like I said, I couldn’t put this book down, and I couldn’t guess the ending (for a change), so I really enjoyed reading this book. 4/5

Quote:
“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!