Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1

28187
Summary:
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek god.
I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. Now I spend my time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive.
This is the one where Zeus, god of the Sky, thinks I’ve stolen his lightning bolt – and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.

In One Word: Entertaining

Plot:
This book is great, the story is exciting and interesting, and the writing is so easy-going. I did think it was a little similar to Harry Potter (you know, boring ‘weirdo’ kid suddenly becoming this extremely ‘interesting’ person in a whole different world that he didn’t even know existed), but the whole mythology concept is so original that it didn’t bother me at all. I loved how the humorous writing style made sure the book never got too tense or dark, while it still stayed exciting. The author doesn’t try too hard or take himself too seriously and that makes it a fun read. I did guess the ending in this book, but it wasn’t blatantly obvious and it was more a suspicion than anything.

Characters:
I like how the author made kids ‘with problems’ into something cool, and with that I mean that the demi-gods have dyslexia and ADD, and that somehow makes them even cooler (SPOILER: not to mention the fact that a ‘crippled’ boy turns out to be a satyr....the hooves make it a little awkward for him to wear shoes). Percy is funny and a nice kid, not always exceptionally bright, but still a hero to look up to. I liked Annabeth and Grover as well, they’re loyal and brave and great sidekicks. The gods were also really interesting, and also made me laugh a couple of times, Riordan uses exaggeration to make them larger than life (quite literally...)

Who should read this:
10+, there’s no sexual content or language and the violence is very mild, although there are some scary scenes. If you have a problem with reading about Greek ‘gods’, then I don’t suggest this for you. If you enjoyed Harry Potter then you might like this, it has the same feel to it. If you want a serious or thought-provoking read this is probably not for you, but if you want something fun and entertaining, I definitely suggest this book.

My rating:
I’ve heard so much about this series that I had very high expectations and I wasn’t disappointed at all. I can’t wait to read the next book. However, it wasn’t amazing enough to join my favourites. 4/5

Quote:
“I'd love to tell you I had some deep revelation on my way down, that I came to terms with my own mortality, laughed in the face of death, et cetera.
The truth? My only thought was: Aaaaggghhhhh!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!