Saturday, November 15, 2014

Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth

Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4

18463652
Summary: WARNING: Possible spoilers of previous books ahead!
Honestly, blowing up another school was the last thing I wanted to do.
As the son of a Greek god, I’ve had my share of near-death disaster – and now my arch-enemy Luke wants to invade our camp via an ancient labyrinth.
If he succeeds, thousands of bloodthirsty monsters will attack. So it’s goodbye sunshine, hello darkness as four of us descend into the terrifying underground and beyond.

In One Word: Unputdownable

Plot:
These stories are great simply because they’re just so much fun. They’re hilarious, but still exciting and can keep you on the edge of your seat or have you laughing out loud. And even though they’re a lot of fun and very entertaining there are still some scenes that are touching and emotional, without ever becoming too deep for a middle-grade book.

Characters:
These above-mentioned moments really helps the reader connect with the characters. I really like all the characters in this book, but now I’m really starting to get fascinated with Nico di Angelo. He’s a little darker than the other main characters, without being a fully-fledged villian, which is very interesting and not something you see very often. Percy remains a little naive in my opinion, although it is part of his charm, and he really does develop quite a bit during this particular book. Annabeth is still a great character, and I also really like Rachel, who we get to see more in this book. Grover and Tyson remains great characters, who never takes away the spolight from the main character, but is still important enough to make you care for them. All the characters connect really well with each other and nothing feels forced.

Who should read this:
10+, again, some violence, although it is very mild. There is no language or sexual content to speak of. Also again, if the mythological aspect of Greek gods bother you, don’t read this series. If you liked the previous books this one won’t dissappoint, if you didn’t, well don’t read this one...I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves Harry Potter and wants something similar, and this series doesn’t get darker like HP does, so you younger kids can read the entire series back-to-back if you should want to.

My rating:
I absolutely love this series. It’s not going to make my favourites, but it’s very close to it. I enjoy every minute of reading it, and I’m going to start the next one right now. 4.5/5

Quote:
“Don't feel bad, I'm usually about to die.”-Percy Jackson

Read my reviews for 'The Lightning Thief', 'The Sea of Monsters' and 'The Titan's Curse'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!