Saturday, February 14, 2015

Inheritance

Christopher Paolini

The Inheritance Cycle #4

7664041
Summary:
It started with Eragon...
It ends with Inheritance.
Not so very long ago, Eragon – Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider – was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now, the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
The Rider and his dragon have come farther than anyone dared to imagine. But can they topple the evil king, Galbatorix, and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?

In One Word: Okay

Plot:
If you’ve followed my reviews on this series you know I loved the first two books, but I didn't think the third one was quite up to par and neither was this one in my opinion. I liked it well enough and the story kept me interested, but I felt like the ending to this series should’ve been absolutely epic, and it just wasn’t. I enjoyed reading it, and there were moments that I couldn’t put it down, but overall I didn’t feel like it was as good as it could’ve been.

Characters:
My one problem with this series is that it doesn’t focus enough on the characters, and that makes them seem a little flat. They all have moments where you see a flicker of something more, but then they just end up carrying on as usual. I do still really like the chemistry between Eragon and Arya, and I also really enjoy Saphira (even if I don’t think she was as interesting in this book as in the previous ones). Overall the characters aren’t as developed as I would’ve liked them to be after 3 previous books.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for the violence and some very mild language and sexual content. The violence can be quite disturbing, but it’s not extremely graphic. If you enjoyed the previous books then you will probably like this one, but don’t expect too much. If you enjoy fantasy then I suggest you try the first two books, since they were my favourites, and if you don’t like them, don’t continue the series.

My rating:
I really wanted to love this book, but honestly I just liked it. There were moments of brilliance, but I felt like the entire book could’ve been brilliant if the author had tried hard enough. The feeling I got from this book is that Paolini didn't try as hard as he should have, but instead just got the ending to the series over with. 3/5

Quote:
“I am not who I was,' he whispered, gripping the edges of the column, 'but I know who I am.'...
'And I won't give up.”

Read my reviews for 'Eragon', 'Eldest' and 'Brisingr' here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!