Saturday, July 6, 2013

Eldest

Christopher Paolini

The Inheritance Cycle #2

Summary:
Eragon and his dragon have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now, Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in magic and swordsmanship, the vital skills of the Dragon Rider. It is a journey of a lifetime, filled with awe-inspiring new places and people, each day an adventure.

Plot:
This is an incredible sequel to Eragon, it answers many questions that arose in the first book, but asks new ones, making you want to continue reading the series. I really enjoyed the storyline, and while it started a little slow, when I reached about a quarter of the book I couldn’t put it down. I especially enjoyed Paolini’s creation of Ellesmera, the elves’ country, or province or whatever. It’s rich in imagination and I found it fascinatingly beautiful. The battle scenes were also handled better in this novel than the first, with more suspense and action, but less gore. The ending is also adds a marvelous twist, which makes me even more excited for the third book.

Characters:
There is great character development in this book. Especially in the main character, Eragon, who learns more about magic and being a dragon rider from the elves. Saphira also grows, and we see a different side to her, she shows her immaturity more, but still retains respect. I cannot describe all the characters in this book, as there are too many, but Paolini manages to separate them enough that it never gets too confusing.

Who should read this?
13+, again, as with Eragon, it’s mainly because of violence, as there are little other mature content. I felt the violence in this book was slightly less graphic than the first, but maybe that’s just me. Some people might also feel uncomfortable with the magic used in this novel. I think fans of Eragon should definitely read this, however if you didn’t like the first book, don’t bother. Paolini’s style hasn’t changed. Also, this is a long book, as with the first, so if you like shorter, easier reads, this might not be the one for you.

My rating:
I really loved this book, it gripped me more than Eragon did and I adored the different settings and cultures implemented into the story. I would give this a 5/5.

Quote:
“....avoid roasted cabbage, do not eat earwax, and look on the bright side of life!"
-Angela”

Read my reviews for the first and third books in this series, Eragon and 'Brisingr', here! As well as the movie 'Eragon'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!