Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Eragon


Summary:
In his homeland of Alagaesia, a farm boy happens upon a dragon’s egg-a discovery that leads him on a predestined journey where he realised he is the one person who can defend his home against an evil king.

Plot:
Now, as someone very familiar with the book’s story I found this movie to be slightly disappointing. Many of my favorite parts had been removed from the story, and I know movies can only be so long, but I felt they had tried too hard to fit everything in. As a movie on it’s own it’s also slightly irritating that they never made the sequel, since the ending seems to hint at one. I found that some of the parts they skipped over should have been included and shown in more detail. Eragon and Brom's journey is almost not shown at all, while it is a huge part of the book. The whole story just felt rushed, like they were skipping over details about the characters and story that made it a little hard to understand.

Characters:
The characters were well portrayed mostly. Especially Eragon, who is shown as a brave, but slightly impulsive boy. I was very disappointed with Arya’s character, she’s become a whole different species, which just doesn’t make sense to me at all. One of my favorite characters in the book Murtagh is shown only a little, and they don’t say much about him. Saphira is probably my favorite in the movie, her voice is incredibly rich and exactly how I imagined it to be.

Cinematography:
Good, especially considering that this is not a very recent movie. Saphira and all the other special effects are well done. The movie is slightly darker than I imagined the book to be, but it works.

Who should watch this:
If you don’t like reading (what are you doing on my blog??? Just Kidding) I suppose this is the only alternative, but for fans of the book, don’t waste your time. If you like fantasy movies, or thought the book was too long, then maybe you’ll like this more, emphasis on the maybe. I personally won’t reccomend it to anyone.

My rating:
I was disappointed with most of this movie. Someone told me the ending wasn’t well handled, but I still expected more from the story. 1/5

Quote:
That's the spirit - one part brave, three parts fool.-Brom

Read my review for the books 'Eragon', 'Eldest' and 'Brisingr' here!

2 comments:

  1. I thought this film was abysmal. I haven't read the book, but it can't possibly be as bad as the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, it's good to know it's not just the expectations caused by the book that made me dislike this movie. I was afraid I was slightly biased. It's good to hear from someone who hasn't read the book yet! :)

      Delete

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!