Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Amulet of Samarkand

Jonathan Stroud

The Bartimaeus Trilogy #1

59267
Summary:
The sulphur cloud contracted into a thick column of smoke that vomited forth thin tendrils...There was barely perceptible pause. Then two yellow staring eyes materialized in the heart of the smoke.
Hey, it was his first time. I wanted to scare him.
When the 5000-year-old- djinni Bartimaeus is summoned by Nathaniel, a young magician’s apprentice, he expect to have to do nothing more taxing than a few simple illusions. But Nathaniel is a precocious talent and has something rather more dangerous in mind: revenge.
Against his will, Bartimaeus is packed off to steal the powerful Amulet of Samarkand from Simon Lovelace, a master magician of unrivaled ruthlessness and ambition. Before long, both djinni and apprentice are caught up in a terrifying flood of magical intrigue, murder and rebellion.
Set in a modern-day London controlled by magicians, this hilarious, electrifying thriller will enthrall readers of all ages.

In One Word: Hilarious

Plot:
I loved this story, I thought it was entertaining and funny and at times suspenseful. It kept me interested right through. I loved the parts that were narrated by the djinni, who adds all these really funny footnotes. I liked the magical and exciting feel of it as well. The writing was good and the author doesn’t try too hard or take himself too seriously. I was also a little worried that it was going to be another Harry Potter rip-off, but while it did remind me of it because of the setting, I don’t feel like it was too similar at all.

Characters:
Like I said I really thought the djinni was hilarious. I know some people don’t like vain or cocky characters, but I usually find them very entertaining, and this was no exception. This character thinks he is the best thing on this planet and it is so funny how he proves this belief wrong time and again. Nathaniel is also a very good character in my opinion, he’s not that unique or that much of a stand-out type of character, but I liked that he was in contrast with the full-of-himself and never serious djinni.

Who should read this:
12+, it’s mainly for violence and magical elements that may be frightening. Except for that I don’t think there is very much objectionable content. If you like stories that have magical and realistic elements in them as well as funny moments and more serious ones then this is definitely a good choice for you. If you enjoyed Harry Potter, but want something that’s not exactly like it then definitely try this. However, if you don’t like fantasy or have a problem with magic then skip it.

My rating:
I thoroughly enjoyed every minute I spent reading this book and I can’t wait to read the next one. 5/5

Quote:
“He was transfixed at the sight of the lords and ladies of his realm running about like demented chickens.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!