Friday, May 31, 2013

The Elite

Kiera Cass

The Selection #2

 
Summary: 
The Selection gets fierce as rivals stake their claim on the Prince.
Six girls, one life-changing prize...
America Singer will leave her pre-destined life for a world of glamour and luxury, if she wins...
But surviving the Selection is tough. Rivals are battling to become Prince Maxon's bride as the threat of rebel violence just beyond the palace walls escalates into war.
Only six girls are left and sworn friendships are tested to breaking point. America's feelings for Maxon grow stronger, but she suspects darker mysteries in his royal past. With ex-lover Aspen waiting for her in the shadows, where do her loyalties truly lie?

Plot:
I didn't like this book as much as The Selection. It actually bored me here and there. The story seemed to go around in circles until I wanted to tell America to just make up her mind already. I had high expectations, but was pretty disappointed. I did like the interesting little twist on the history of Illea, though, and I will probably read the third book to see how that turns out.

Characters:
The characters stayed pretty much the same, which was quite irritating. I would’ve liked to see some growth or change. These happenings in all of their lives should’ve impacted them in some way, right? America makes some stupid mistakes, Maxon fools around and Aspen seems to move to the background every  now and then leaving me wondering what he’s up to. Not all that great.

Who should read this?
13+ for all the same reasons as the Selection. Mild mature content, a little violence. Fans of the first book should read this, but if you didn’t like the Selection don’t waste your time. I would definitely recommend reading The Selection first, or else The Elite won’t make sense.

My rating:
This wasn’t nearly as good as The Selection (I actually started painting my nails while reading, just for something to do…that’s not normal for me…) so I’m hoping the third book is better! I will read it, just because I don’t like not knowing what happens next, but not because this series is all that wonderful. 2/5

Quote:
“It turns out I'm absolutely terrible at staying away from you. It's a very serious problem.

I will link the reviews of The Selection and The Prince here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!