Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Selection

Kiera Cass

The Selection #1

Summary: 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself, and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined

Plot:
I liked this book’s story, I know that dystopian books are a trend right now, and this one was a little less violent than some of the others I’ve read or heard of. The story is simple, but nice, with enough action to keep me interested. This is first and foremost a love story, (with a love triangle, because where would any book be without one?) and the dystopian world is merely the setting to provide a twist and make it different. 

Characters:
I liked the characters in this book. The heroine, America, is a witty, slightly strange girl with a sense of humor, who isn’t always sure of herself. The hero, who I suppose is the Prince, is a very nice guy, and though he comes of as a bit of a wimp around girls he is quite level headed and intelligent in matters of state. The other person in the love triangle, Aspen, is a passionate and slightly overeager character, he is very caring, but sometimes acts without thinking.

Who should read this?
13+, I think, there are some references to mature content and some scenes between Aspen and America might not be appropriate for younger readers. However, there is not a lot of violence, and the little that is mentioned is not described very graphically. I think this book is mainly aimed at girls, and if you liked the hunger games, but wished there were more romance and less violence, read this one.

My rating:
This book managed to keep my interest throughout, it wasn’t written as well as some of the other books of this genre, in my opinion, but it was readable. Probably won't make my favorites list, so I’ll give it a 3/5

Quote:
“You get confused by crying women, I get confused by walks with princes.” 
I will link my reviews for The Elite and The Prince, the sequel and a novella from the prince's perspective here!

2 comments:

  1. MarilizéMay 31, 2013

    I'm not familiar with the term "dystopian"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousMay 31, 2013

      Dystopia is a state in which the conditions of life are extremely bad as from deprivation or oppression or terror, opposite of Utopia.

      Delete

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!