Monday, March 10, 2014

The Thief Lord

Cornelia Funke

113304
Summary:
Welcome to the magical underworld of Venice, Italy. Here, hidden canals and crumbling rooftops shelter runaways and children with incredible secrets...
After escaping from their cruel aunt and uncle, orphans Prosper and Bo meet a mysterious boy who calls himself the “Thief Lord”. Clever and charming, the Thief Lord leads a band of street children who enjoy making mischief. But the Thief Lord also has a dark secret. And suddenly Prosper and Bo find themselves on a fantastical journey to a forgotten place. What they discover there will change the course of their destiny...forever.

Plot:
I really liked this story. It’s very reminiscent of Peter Pan in that the theme is growing up, but it’s slightly toned down on the whole magic thing. I loved the setting, and I don’t think the story would’ve worked anywhere else than Venice. I thought the plot was original, and I liked that even though it isn’t set in a much earlier time period than the present it still has an old-fashioned feel to it. The bit of magic mixed into the story just added that little spark.

Characters:
The characters in this book are very likable, at least the ones that are supposed to be. They’re different and quirky, yet relatable and I really liked them. My favourite character is probably Prosper, because he’s just such a nice kid, but I really liked Bo as well. ‘The Thief Lord’ is very charismatic, and yet he’s still just a kid which makes him very interesting. The other runaways are all unique. I also liked the adults in this book, especially Victor and his tortoises.

Who should read this:
I don’t think this book needs an age rating. It might be a bit hard for some really young kids to understand, because of the Italian phrases etc, but there are no objectionable content as far as I could see. If you liked Peter Pan and other books like it I definitely suggest this for you, no matter your age!

My rating:
I really liked this book, it was easy to read with an original storyline and unique characters and a touch of magic. 4/5.

Quote:
“He wants to be grown-up. How different dreams can be! Nature will soon grant your wish.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!