Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Flask

Nicky Singer

12476299
Summary:
I put my hand into the dark, secret space that lies behind the drawer.
And find the flask.
Twelve-year-old Jess is anxiously awaiting the birth of her twin brothers, when she finds a mysterious glass flask hidden in a desk.
The flask is beautiful to Jess, and she’s sure she can see something beneath the surface of the glass-something extraordinary, something magical...
So when the twins are born critically ill, Jess becomes convinced that the mysterious force inside the flask could keep them alive.

Plot:
This was a strangely beautiful book. The way it was written is beautiful, but doesn’t always make sense. There isn’t that much of a story, really, but it stays interesting, which is not an easy thing for an author to accomplish. I found it a little weird, to be honest, but there was a beatiful, poetic feel about it that I really liked.

Characters:
Since the story is told from the perspective of the main character there isn’t really that much I can say about the others. The main character’s way of thinking is fascinating, to say the least, and she’s perceptive and imaginative in a way that seems almost too much to believe. In fact, I don’t think I really believe that a twelve-year old can think like this, and yet the author manages to make it work. You really start rooting and feeling for the character and I really liked her.

Who should read this:
13+, there is very little language, no sexual content and no violence, but the themes and subtleties of this book will, in my opinion, be lost on younger readers. I also don’t think this will be everyone’s cup of tea. There is some strange spiritual and religious happenings that don’t really make sense, so be warned. If you’re looking for something completely different from your normal, straight-forward story this might be the one for you.

My rating:
There was something quite enchanting about this book, and yet I can’t decide if I liked it or not. I love the way the main character seemed to see deeper than most people, and yet remained childish and naive. 4/5.

Quote:
All sorts of things I thought of as separate before the twins were born turn out to be joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!