Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower



Summary:
Freshman Charlie is a loner until he falls under the spell of the free-spirited Sam and her fearless stepbrother, Patrick, in this adaption of Stephen Chbosky's best-selling novel.

Plot:
How do you even begin to describe this movie? It encompasses the feeling of being a teenage outcast perfectly, describes the hardships and trials of being slightly crazy in a positive way, it makes you feel infinite (quote! :D). This story will have you laughing and crying, it will change you, have you thinking for days on end. It’s touching and emotional and brilliant. It tells an incredibly sad story in a way that will make you feel happy to be alive. It’s all about acceptance, accepting people who are different, accepting the situation you’re in, and, perhaps most importantly, accepting yourself for who you are.

Characters:
The characters in this movie are brilliant. They’re real, but different, and I fell in love with every single one. The main character ‘Charlie’ (Logan Lerman) is an incredibly loving, innocent freshman boy who has a slight mental illness, after going through a lot of trauma when he was younger. Patrick (Ezra Miller) is a gay senior, who hides behind being funny so he doesn't show how much he’s hurting. And then there’s Sam, who is played by Emma Watson (who deserved every single nomination and award she got for this role). My personal favorite character, she is just a stunning person, who doesn’t realize how incredible she really is. All the characters in this movie are wonderful, they are relatable, but interesting.

Cinematography:
Incredible, it doesn’t distract from the story, but when you look for it you realize that every moment was perfectly planned and shot. Everything from the costumes to the lighting is outstanding.

Who should watch this:
(PG10) There are quite a lot of mature content, language, drug use etc. and I personally don’t think anyone under 13 will understand this movie. The mature content is never used just to be crude,  it makes the story more realistic. Someone who likes memorable movies that they won’t forget and that will have an impact on them, watch this one. If you prefer something light-hearted and relaxing, this isn’t one I would suggest for you.

My rating:
This is probably one of my new favorite movies, I’ve rarely watched something that had such an impact on me (as you can see from my rave review, I’m sorry). I rarely enjoy ‘teenage’ movies, as they always seem to focus on the negative aspects of being a young person. This one, however, takes those negative aspects and uses them to have a positive impact. 5/5

Quote:
Right now we are alive, and in this moment I swear we are infinite.

Read my review for the book here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!