Monday, May 20, 2013

Finding Neverland


 
Summary:
Award winners Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Dustin Hoffman and Julie Christie star in this magical tale about one of the world’s greatest storytellers and the people who inspired his masterwork “Peter Pan”. Well-known playwright James M. Barrie (Depp) finds his career at a crossroads when his latest play flops and doubters question his future. Then by chance he meets a widow (Winslet) and her four adventurous boys. Together they form a friendship that ignites the imagination needed to produce Barrie’s greatest work!

Plot:
I enjoyed this movie’s story very much. It was well paced and I didn’t get bored with it once. It’s one of those movies that makes you think a little, it’s story seems simple, but when you think about it a bit you realise it’s much more complex than you thought. Also this is based on true events, which makes it seem all the more magical.

Characters:
I loved J.M. Barrie’s character (although I might be a little biased, since I am a huge Johnny Depp fan) he was fun, but still serious when necessary. He wasn’t too perfect, which is always good in a main character. Characters who doesn't make mistakes just irritates me. I also really like Peter (the inspiration for Peter Pan, played by Freddie Highmore) who is a little boy, bitter after losing his father and just an all around wonderfully interesting character who develops awesomely during the movie. The other characters were all excellent and the acting every bit as superb as can be expected from these actors/actresses.

Cinematography:
The photography of this movie was great. The colours were rich and made the story seem magical. Definitely a very well-made movie. The costumes, make-up, sets etc. were all beautifully picturesque.

Who should watch this:
 (PG 13) this is the official rating. There aren’t any mature content, but I don’t think young children will enjoy this film, I think it might bore them or they might not understand it. There is also the issue of death, it is brought up quite a lot during this film.

My rating:
I loved this movie! (And Johnny’s English accent) I loved how magical not only Peter Pan is made, but also the magic surrounding J.M. Barry’s life. 4/5

Quote:
J.M. Barrie: Write about your family, Write about the talking Whale.
Peter Llewelyn Davies: What Whale?
J.M. Barrie: The one that is trapped in your imagination, desperate to get out

See my review on the book Peter Pan here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!