Monday, May 20, 2013

Safe Haven

Nicholas Sparks 

Summary:
Love hurts. There is nothing as painful as heartbreak. But in order to learn to love again, you must learn to trust again.
When a mysterious woman named Katie appears in the small town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet unassuming, Katie is determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships.
Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to lower her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community. But even as Katie starts to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts her.

Plot:
Another epic Sparks love story, however this one was a bit more intense, and dark in a way, than his usual novels. He even has a bit of a supernatural element, which I didn’t quite get, but he gets a point for trying. He does switch up the story a bit, making the bad things happen throughout the novel, not just after the main characters fall in love (read my review on ‘the choice’ here to understand this reference :P). Honestly, I didn’t love the plot of this book, his stories always move at a good pace, but this one bored me here and there.

Characters:
I liked the main character Katie, but Alex, the other main character, seemed too good to be true. This story also has a bad guy, which is quite unusual for Sparks. Truthfully I liked reading about the villian more than the main characters, wondering if he was insane or just evil. I didn’t like him, but at least he was interesting.

Who should read this:
13+ most definitely as there are quite a bit of mature content including violence. If you’re a fan of Sparks’ sad, romantic novels, be warned this one isn’t quite the usual. Honestly I’m not quite sure who would like this book. Someone who likes a little action mixed in with the romance? Maybe.

My rating:
I didn’t hate the book, but I didn’t really like it all that much either. 2/5

Quote:
“Maybe I don't want to be defined by what I do. Maybe I'd like to be defined by what I am.”

P.s. There is a movie out, based on this book. If I watch it I will link my review to it here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!