Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Knife of Never Letting Go

Patrick Ness

Chaos Walking #1

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
Summary:
Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.
But Prentisstown isn’t like other town. Everyone can hear everyone else’s thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.
Or are there?
Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.
Which is impossible.
Prentisstown has been lying to him.
And now he’s going to have to run...

In One Word: Haunting

Plot:
I’ve heard many great things about this series, but I never expected this. At first the writing was a little hard to get into, seeing as the narrator (and protagonist) is a little illiterate. The author writes his thoughts, exactly as he thinks them, which means run-on sentences, bad grammar and atrocious spelling, but strangely, this book wouldn’t have nearly the same impact without it. I loved the concept of the mind-reading, and it was executed very well in my opinion. The story is dark and dreary and frightening, but extremely compelling and there’s no way I could’ve put it down once I got into it. It’s a strange feeling, loving every minute of reading such a tragic story (as well as not minding the feeling of being punched very hard at some points while reading...)

Characters:
I liked Todd right from the start, his rebellious attitude combined with his naivity made him an extremely interesting character and the development is really great to see. He’s also not perfect in any way, but manages to learn from his mistakes, and gets to know himself better as the story progresses. Viola is also a very wise, and at times mysterious character. Then there’s the extremely lovable talking dog Manchee, who is the main source of some dry humor from our main character. The villians are also wickedly fascinating and horribly scary, and probably one of the best (and worst) parts of the book.

Who should read this:
13+, there is a lot of violence (some of it really scary and disturbing), as well as some pretty explicit language. There is some mild sexual content, but it’s not extreme or graphic. If you like dystopians, science fiction or fantasy, but you’re tired of reading the same story over and over again, you might like this. I don’t suggest this to anyone who likes happy ‘fluffy’ reads, because you won’t find it here.

My rating:
I loved this book. I didn’t know if I would at the start, but it was all so fascinating and horrible at the same time I couldn’t put it down. I cannot wait to start the next book in the series. 5/5

Quote:
‘Without a filter, a man is just chaos walking.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!