Friday, September 26, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars


Summary:
Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.

In One Word: Heartbreaking

Plot:
When I read this book I didn’t know if I liked it or not. I feel the same about this movie, but for different reasons (I’m still not sure why I felt that way about the book). It’s really hard to say you loved a movie that is so gut-wrenchingly sad. But you do. It doesn’t make any sense really, to love a movie like this. As far as staying true to the book goes, I think this movie did a pretty good job, I can’t remember exactly what happens in the book, but overall I didn’t notice anything that was really different. The story is beautiful and tragic, and there’s not much more you can say about it.

Characters:
This is where the movie really got to me. I liked the characters in the book, I thought they were ‘real’ and normal, but I didn’t fall in love with them. This movie made me fall in love with them, which made it extremely hard to watch them suffer. Hazel is incredible without realising it, she’s funny and smart and different, without trying too hard. And Gus...Gus is sweet, funny, easy-going and yet a very deep character. Their chemistry is great, they click and you totally get why the one falls for the other.

Cinematography:
Very good, the colours bring out the different moods in the story, but it’s not extremely noticable and it doesn’t distract from the story.

Who should watch this:
If you liked the book, or just need a good cry then I definitely suggest this. If you’re looking for a light, happy movie then this is not the one for you.

My rating:
Rarely do I stay sad after a sad movie has ended. However, this one broke my heart. 5/5

Quote:
I fell in love with him the way you fall asleep: Slowly, and then all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!