Monday, August 4, 2014

Wake

Amanda Hocking

Watersong #1

10586539
Summary:
Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous.
The kind of girls you envy. The kind of girls you want to hate.
Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea and Lexi have caught everyone’s attention, including the eye of practical Harper. But it’s her sister, Gemma, they’ve chosen. Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all – carefree, pretty and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion is the water. She craves solitary late-night swims under the stars, where she can belong to the sea. But lately she’s had company.
Penn, Thea and Lexi spend their nights dancing and partying on the cove, and one night Gemma joins them. She wakes, groggy on the beach the next morning and knows something has changed. Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster and more beautiful than ever. And as she discovers her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves – or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets.

Plot:
I liked the premise of this story, it sounded like a easy read with some creepiness thrown in and that’s always fun. However, the story was a tad too predictable for me (spoiler alert-She’s a mermaid?!...Sorry Siren, 'cause mermaids don't exist...but now she's in her mermaid form again? Oh never mind...). The writing was okay, it wan’t hard to read, but it didn’t really flow in my opinion and it didn’t draw me in. This story has so much potential, but unfortunately it wasn’t as well-written as I would’ve liked. Also, the descriptions could've been so much better.

Characters:
I liked the main characters in this story, but the problem is I’ll only remember them as: that mermaid, that mermaid’s sister (who kind of sounds like me), that mermaid’s boyfriend and that mermaid’s sister’s boyfriend (who was probably my favorite out of these). The characters are just too generic for me, I would’ve liked at least a little something that made them a bit different. The other three mermaids, however, have a lot of potential and I’ll read the next book only because I’m interested in knowing more about them and their story, since I feel like there's more to it than what I read in this book.

Who should read this:
10+, there is a bit of violence (some of it is pretty gross...but I’m kind of desensitized at the moment after reading all that Game of Thrones), some language and mild sexual content. I don’t think anyone over the age of 20 would really enjoy this. If you’re looking for an easy read and you liked Twilight, you will probably like this as well. Don’t read this if you’re looking for the next great literary work.

My rating:
I had no trouble finishing this book, and it kept me interested, but there was just something about it that I didn’t like. I don’t know if it was the characters being one-dimensional or the story being predictable, but it was all just okay. 3/5

Quote:
Sirens are real, mermaids are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!