Monday, July 14, 2014

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Mary E. Pearson

6738969
Summary:
I used to be someone.
Someone named Jenna Fox.
A girl wakes from a coma following a devastating accident, her memory a blank.
One day she can’t walk; the next she can.
One day her right eyelid droops; the next it doesn’t.
Her parents call her recovery a mircale – but at what cost has it come? What are they hiding from her?
Who is Jenna Fox?

Plot:
This story is extremely intriguing, and had me captivated and interested throughout. It’s fast paced and never gets boring. The writing flows very well and is just descriptive enough to make it interesting. I liked the way the author used the different structures and so to create impact, some parts are structured almost like a poem.

Characters:
I liked that the main character is a teenage girl who is searching for ‘who she is’, but that the circumstances makes it more interesting and original than that. It keeps it relatable. The main character is very likable, but not in any way flawless. I also really liked her grandma, her parents were a bit one-dimensional in my opinion. Her friends at school were original and interesting without drawing the attention away from the main character too much.

Who should read this:
12+, there is very little violence and nearly no sexual content, but the themes might be a little dark and disturbing. The language is also kept pretty mild. If you want an easy read with an original plot and good writing then you might enjoy this one. If you want a simple, realistic story this might not be your cup of tea.

My rating:
I didn’t have any expectations for this book, I just picked it up by chance and I really enjoyed it. It kept me interested, the writing was interesting and so was the plot and characters. 4/5

Quote:
I don't want five hundred billion neural chips. I want guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!