Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Feast for Crows

George R.R. Martin

A Song of Ice and Fire #4

11735456
Summary:
WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS OF PREVIOUS BOOKS!
Crows will fight over a dead man’s flesh, and kill each other for his eyes.
Bloodthirsty, treacherous and cunning, the Lannisters are in power on the Iron Throne in the name of the boy-king Tommen. But with fear and deceit in the air, their enemies are poised to strike. The Martells of Dorne seek vengeance for their dead and the heir of dead King Balon of the Iron Isles, Euron Crow’s Eye, is as black a pirate as ever raised a sail.
Across the war-torn landscape of the Seven Kingdoms, the daughter of Lord Selwyn of Tarth, called Brienne the Beauty in mockery of her great strength, seeks the late king’s widow, Sansa Stark. She promised the girl’s dead mother to protect her from the wrath of Queen Cersei, Tommen’s power-hungry mother. Meanwhile, apprentice Maester Samwell Tarly bring a mysterious babe-in-arms south to the Citadel from the cruel frozen north where the sinister Others threaten the Wall.

Plot:
Once again I feel like I’m going to repeat myself. I could’ve written one big review for this entire series. This part of the story wasn’t as shocking or thrilling as the previous installment, but that doesn’t mean it was dull in any way. I couldn’t tear myself away. The writing stays extremely brutal, but wonderfully captivating. There are so many events that happen in these books I can only give a very abstract opinion on the plot, but everything that happens is interesting.

Characters:
At first I was a little disappointed with the fact that we don’t see some of my favorite characters in this book, including Tyrion and Daenerys. However, the author did explain this at the end, saying that what happened to them during this period of time will be told in the next book, which makes me very excited. The characters didn’t develop as much as I would’ve liked, except for Jaime Lannister, who is a very interesting character with many contradictory elements to his personality. There were less deaths in this installment, so don’t worry too much about your favorite characters (if they were still alive in the previous one).

Who should read this:
16+, like always the author doesn’t shy away from graphic violence, sexual content and language, so if you’re sensitive, I would not suggest this series. If you enjoyed the previous installments, you should continue, I’ve said before how consistent this series is. This is a must for fantasy lovers, but not for people who want to finish a book quickly or want a light read.

My rating:
While it wasn’t as exciting as the previous book, mainly because many of my favourite characters weren't featured, it was still extremely engaging and I couldn’t put it down. 4/5

Quote:
I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood.

Read my review for the previous installments: 'A Game of Thrones', A Clash of Kings' and 'A Storm of Swords' here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!