Friday, May 9, 2014

Wolf Blood

N.M. Browne

9683241
Summary:
It’s the first century AD and Britain is overrun by invading Romans and warring tribes.
A Celtic warrior girl escapes from the rival tribe which has enslaved her, straight into the path of two Roman foot soldiers.
She expects to be killed, but using her gift of second sight she sees that one of the soldiers has a secret.
Celtic blood runs through his veins too – and he is a shapeshifter...a wolf-man. Their only chance of survival is to help each other.
But what will happen when their extraordinary powers are combined?
And who will they choose to fight for?

Plot:
This is a pretty good story. There are no real plot-twists or surprising moments, but it stays interesting enough. I don’t think the plot is incredible, mainly because most of it is just about the main characters fighting or running for their lives. I also couldn’t really get into the writing, it felt a little stilted to me, and at times it felt as if the author didn’t explain what was happening clearly and just kind of assumed that the reader will figure it out for themselves. The end also disappointed me, I felt like there should be a sequel, but there isn’t.

Characters:
This is where my biggest problem with this book came in. I didn’t connect with any of the characters, I felt absolutely nothing for them. I might have liked Morcant, but for most of the story he seems to be pushed to the side a bit and because of his shape-shifting there is little communication between him and other characters. Also the main character is a great heroine, very brave and so forth, but I just didn’t care for her, I cannot say exactly why, but she just didn’t really interest me.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for violence and some spiritual stuff that might make some people uncomfortable. If you’re tired of romantic/sappy scenes in fantasy books then you should try this one. There is very little of that. I don’t think I’ll recommend this to anyone though.

My rating:
I thought the story was good, but I needed more to make up for the fact that I didn’t really like the characters. 2/5

Quote:
I am Trista. I am a seeress and my visions are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!