Saturday, May 17, 2014

Blink of an Eye

Ted Dekker

695601
Summary:
The future changes in the Blink of an Eye...Or Does It?
Miriam is a Saudi princess promised to another, a pawn in a political struggle that could shift the balance of power in the Middle East.
Seth is a certified genius with a head full of numbers, a life full of baggage, and an attitude born on the waves of the Pacific.
Cultures collide when they find themselves thrown together as fugitives in a high-stakes chase across Southern California. A growing attraction and a search for answers fuel their fight to survive...but with no sleep and a massive manhunt steadily closing in, their chances of surviving any future are razor thin.

Plot:
This book is different in many ways from Dekker’s other works that I have read. Mainly because the violence is not as extreme, but also because there’s no real twist to the story. However, this does not mean it’s not a good story. It is thrilling and intriguing. Dekker doesn’t always explain everything that happens in his books, but it never feels like he’s taking the easy way out, which is great. I like the writing style, the setting and basically everything about this story. I should just say that I have read some reviews on this book, and most of the negative ones seem to focus on the facts Dekker uses in this story being wrong, I don’t know if that’s true or not, and I don’t think it should be too big of an issue. I also don’t know how this book differs from the original*.

Characters:
I really connected with these characters. They’re not perfect, but they are good and you really root for them. I also thought that the two main characters had great chemistry and their romance is believable. I would’ve liked a little more insight into the villains, but I like that you do get some parts from his perspective. These characters are also different from Dekker’s thriller-book-characters, but they’re extremely likable.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for violence, which is only really disturbing in one or two scenes, but is present. There is no language or sexual content, but the theme is partly political and it might bore young readers. If you want Christian fiction that doesn’t push religion down your throat this is definitely one I would recommend.

My rating:
This is not my favourite of Ted Dekker, but I really like the characters and the story and I couldn’t put the book down. 4/5

Quote:
Prayer may just be the most powerful tool mankind has.

*Just note that this book is a rewrite of ‘Blink’ by Ted Dekker and there are many differences. Dekker rewrote ‘Blink’ in order to turn it into a movie, but according to him the overall feel of the book is now a little different. So if you read ‘Blink’ then this review might not fit your opinion at all. I also do not know how many other plot lines and ideas were changed in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!