Friday, April 4, 2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Jenny Han

Summer #1

5821978
Summary:
Every year Isabel spends a perfect summer at her family friends’ house.
There’s the swimming pool at night, the private stretch of beach – and the two boys.
Conrad-unavailable, aloof-who she's been in love with forever.
Jeremiah- friendly, relaxed-the only one who’s ever really paid her any attention.
But this year something is different.
They seem to have noticed her for the first time.
It’s going to be an amazing summer...and one she’ll never forget.

Plot:
This is not an extremely original story, but it’s sweet and tugs at your heartstrings. The writing is good and even though the plot is pretty generic the story wasn’t predictable. I want to know what happens next in the series, and I will read the second book soon.

Characters:
You reallys start to feel for the characters in this book. I usually enjoy the ‘bad boy’ character more in this type of novel and this was no exception, but the other male characters were all extremely likable in their own ways. The main character isn’t my favorite ever, and at times she was a bit annoying, but I felt like I could relate to her and that’s always good. All the characters are pretty normal, but they’re never flat, which is something that could easily happen with these everyday-type of characters.

Who should read this:
10+, some mild language and other mature content are mentioned. This is a great book if you’re looking for a quick, light read that still makes you a little emotional at times. If you’re looking for a profound novel then you won’t like this one. Definitely aimed towards girls.

My rating:
I really enjoyed reading this book. It made me feel happy and sad at times and even though I feel like the story is kind of ‘been there, done that’ it didn’t bore me once so: 4/5.

Quote:
‘For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)/it’s always ourselves we find in the sea.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!