Saturday, February 15, 2014

Tiger's Curse

Colleen Houck

The Tiger Saga #1

9284655
Summary:
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world.
But that’s exactly what happened.
Face-to-face with dark forces, spell-binding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
                                                             
Plot:
This story starts of with a bang, and doesn’t let up once. The different settings, like a circus and, of course, the jungles of India are fascinating and you really feel like you’re there with the characters. The writing flows well and keeps you interested, it’s unpretentious and simple, but still manages to paint a picture of the landscape. However, there are times that I felt the author could’ve done some things differently, especially in the moments that were meant to be surprising and then became kind of anti-climatic. The story is very original and interesting, and I really want to read the next book to see what happens.

Characters:
I really love the characters in this book. The main character is extremely relatable, yet witty and intelligent. Her love interest, Dhiren, is exactly what a male hero shoud be (I hate to compare this to Twilight, but it did remind me of it at times and Dhiren seems to be all the best parts of Jacob and Edward combined, without the creepiness or annoyingness). However, they’re not perfect at all, and also make mistakes.The character I found most intriguing, however, is Ren’s brother, Kishan, and I really hope to read more about him in the next book.

Who should read this:
10+, there is no language as far as I could tell, and the violence is not extreme, but it may frighten some younger readers. There is some making-out, but that’s as far as it goes. Also there is a lot of Indian mysticism tied up in this story, and if that’s something that you don’t like I don’t suggest this book for you. I think fans of Twilight, or someone who liked the idea of Twilight and are searching for something a little better should definitely check this out. Definitely one for someone who’s looking for a different type of story that is easy to read and exciting.

My rating:
I really enjoyed this book. It’s been a while since I found a book I couldn’t put down, and this one was like that. There were some parts that I feel like the author could’ve handled slightly better, but the good definitely made up for it. 4/5

Quote:
‘Those eyes. They were mesmerizing. They stared right into me, almost as if the tiger was examining my soul.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!