Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Abandon

Meg Cabot

Abandon Trilogy #1


9397967
Summary:
Pierce knows what it’s like to die. Last year she flatlined following an accident.
During that time Pierce saw a dark world and met a mysterious, irresistible boy.
Now that boy, John Hayden, has turned up at school. Every time she sees him Pierce finds herself in terrible danger. Yet she’s still drawn to him.
John wants to take her back to the place she fears the most: the Underworld.
The question is, why?

Plot:
I found this to be a very intersting concept: the old Greek myth of Persephone turned into a modern story. I think Cabot handled that part of the tale pretty well. However I found the actual story to be pretty dull. I thought the romance was forced and didn’t make sense. The supposed ‘twist’ was surprising yes, but not exactly in a good way, and I just didn’t feel drawn into the story. It didn’t have any moments that stood out for me, there were no really sad, really funny or really tense moments.

Characters:
The characters are not bad, but I felt like they were a little one-dimensional. I didn’t really connect to any of them, and none of them were really interesting. I’d hoped for some more growth and developement, but I feel like Cabot focused too much on the ‘facts’ of the mythology that she didn’t put enough effort into character building. I like characters that are complicated and multi-faceted, but these weren’t like that for me.

Who should read this:
10+, There are some mild cursing, and obviously the themes are pretty dark. The sexual content is very vague, but present. I don’t think I’d suggest this to anyone who’s not really interested in Greek mythology and wants a fun way to read more about it. Even then, I think there should be better options out there.

My rating:
It may sound like it, but I didn’t hate this book, it just didn’t capture my attention at all, I didn’t connect to the storyline or characters emotionally and I don’t think I’ll remember it. 2/5

Quote:
Anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!