Thursday, October 24, 2013

New Moon

Stephenie Meyer

Twilight #2


Summary:
‘Shoot,’ I muttered when the paper sliced my finger; I pulled it out to examine the damage. A single drop of blood oozed from the tiny cut.
It all happened very quickly then.
‘No!’ Edward roared...Dazed and disoriented, I looked up from the bright red blood pulsing out of my arm – into the fevered eyes of the six suddenly ravenous vampires.
For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella could ever have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just the beginning.

Plot:
So this is most definitely my least favourite book in this series. This is because it mainly comprises of Bella being depressed, obsessed and just a little stupid. Her reaction to everything that happens between her and Edward in this book is, to say it in Charlie’s words: not normal. And while I get it, they’re soul mates, the belong together forever etc. it’s just really depressing to read about...The only good part is that we get to see more of Jacob and watch him and Bella’s relationship grow, but even that is tainted by the fact that she is basically just using him (which is her words, not mine...)

Characters:
Except for Jacob (who grows, like, literally a LOT) there is very little character growth in this book. Also, we get to see the ‘hero’ of the story, Edward, act like a total idiot. Not heroic at all...Bella, like I said, is just obsessed and depressed. Those are the main characters in this book, you don’t get to see a lot of anybody else, so there aren’t very much room for change there...

Who should read this:
12+, mainly for violence, there aren’t a lot of other mature content, and if there is it’s very mild. Obviously, since this book is about vampires there is some violence, but the vampires are pretty m.i.a throughout the book, so that is also kept to a minimum. If you absolutely love Twilight, you should probably read this at least once, but I would recommend reading the series without this instalment. Watch the movie so you don’t lose the storyline, it’s shorter, and you’ll still be able to understand Eclipse.

My rating:
Bleh, I don’t hate this book, but I really, really don’t like it...There are parts of it that make it okay, but mostly it’s just too long for so little actually happening. The characters are disappointing (Talking ‘bout you Edward!) and it’s just not worth it in my opinion. 2/5 

Quote:
“I think she's having hysterics. Maybe you should slap her.”-Alice (I know what you mean Alice!)
“Romeo wouldn’t change his mind. That’s why people still remembered his name, always twined with hers”-Bella (even she realised Edward was acting really stupidly for the hero of a romance story!)

And just to make sure you understand, I don’t hate the Twilight series/franchise in its entirety, in fact you can read my review for Twilight here, I just really don’t like this particular book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!