Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gravity



Summary:
Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalski completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness.

Plot:
This is a very suspenseful movie. Although I’m not sure if it will be as good if you don’t watch it in cinemas or in 3D. In my opinion, it won’t be the same on a TV/computer screen. While the story is good, there comes a moment when you start expecting bad things to happen, and it doesn’t surprise you anymore. This makes it just a little tedious, and less thrilling. However, it is still a very good storyline, and it’s handled very well, considering how little the directors really had to work with in terms of setting and characters.

Characters:
There aren’t a lot of characters in this movie. All of them are quite memorable, but none as much as Matt Kowalski (George Clooney), he is very witty, and overly optimistic, and he lightens the mood of the film considerably, without him it would have been extremely depressing. The main character Ryan Stone (yes, Ryan is a woman) grows a lot during the movie and is a very relatable character, I feel, for many people.

Cinematography:
Exceptional. With only one or two exceptions, you really feel as if you are in outer space yourself. You can lose yourself in the amazing angles and beautiful photography and computer effects used in this film.

Who should watch this:
(PG-13) Mainly because of violence, suspense and language, but I also feel that this movie would either bore or upset younger viewers. If you love space, suspense, or just very well-made movies, you should go watch this one.

My rating:
I really enjoyed this movie, even though I’m not a huge fan of movies that make me nervous. I don’t think I’ll be watching it again, simply because I feel that it wouldn’t have the same effect without the big screen and the 3D, but I definitely liked it a lot. 4/5.

Quote:
Matt Kowalski: Houston I have a bad feeling about this mission...
Mission Control: Please elaborate.
Matt Kowalski: Well, it  reminds me of a story...

Watch the movie to hear the story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!