Friday, June 28, 2013

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron



Summary:
The mustang stallion Spirit grows up to proudly succeed his father as leader of the Cimarron herd in the unspoiled Wild West. When 'civilization' reaches Dakota territory, naive curiosity gets him caught by cowboys and sold to the US Cavalry. Its method of training by breaking a horse fails utterly on him. Just when the colonel intends to shoot Spirit, the equally indomitable captured young Lakota brave, Little Creek, escapes on his back. He also tricks him to a coral with his beloved mare, but shows respect and wins some trust. As the railroad arrives, the Indian village is wrecked and Spirit gets captured for use as a draft-horse. When the stallion realizes this project threatens his whole world, he escapes and unleashes the fury of a force of nature, ultimately teaming up with Little Creek.


Plot:
I’ve loved this story ever since I was little. It’s a story of not giving up, of fighting for what you believe in, and horses, all of which make it incredible. I love the passionate nature of this story, how every part is extremely emotional. You don’t have slumps where nothing is happening. Incredibly sad, with some light bits of humor thrown in when appropriate, this movie made me cry and made me smile.

Characters:
I adore the characters in this movie. The main character-the horse ‘Spirit’ is incredibly head-strong and feisty. The gentle horses ‘Rain’-spirit’s love interest and Spirit’s mother are great. The Indian, Little Creek, who connects with Spirit in a way that no other human could. They’re all incredible. Especially considering that, even though Spirit is the only horse that ‘talks’ in the movie, you can still tell the characteristics of all the others.

Cinematography:
This is quite an old movie, and the animation isn’t quite up to today’s standards, but I could tell that the producers and directors put a lot of thought into this movie. The character’s facial expressions and body language are beautifully portrayed, and you don’t really notice that they don’t look completely realistic. Also the music in this movie gives me chills every time.

Who should watch this:
(PG) as some younger kids may be frightened by the way the horses are treated by some of the humans. Anyone who liked movies like ‘the Lion King’ etc., that make you cry and laugh, watch this one! I think this movie will appeal to all ages.

My rating:
I really love this movie, it being one of the few animated ones that make me cry. I love the soundtrack and I love…just everything about this movie really. 5/5

Quote:
And so I grew from colt to stallion, as wild and as reckless as thunder over the land. Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind. Flying? There were times I believed I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!