Tuesday, June 18, 2013

First Among Equals

Jeffrey Archer


Summary: 
In the 1960's four ambitious new MPs take their seats at Westminster. Over three decades they share the turbulent passions of the race for power with their wives and families, men and women caught up in a dramatic game for the highest stakes of all. But only one man can gain the ultimate goal - the office of Prime Minister.

Plot: 
This is essentially a political story, which usually means I'm bored and I don't understand. While most of the happenings in this story didn't make any sense to me whatsoever, it still didn't bore me, which is really weird. I think this is a very good story, mainly because of Archer's track record and also because it didn't bore me, but I really can't say much about it as i had no idea what was happening most of the time.

Characters:
As I've said before, Archer's characters are never his main focus. In this novel, however, they are very important. This story revolves around different male characters with one shared political goal.  I really liked some of them, while others weren't as likable. I did find it a little hard to remember which wife fitted with which husband and which man fitted with which past, but it didn't really bother me. Archer manages to remind you in some way without sounding like he is repeating himself.

Who should read this:
13+, like I said before, I didn't understand this book, so if you want to know exactly what's going on, don't read this. Fans of politically motivated novels, as well as historical fiction should like this. There is very mild mature content.

My rating:
I think I might read this book again, just to see if I understand it better. It wasn't boring, but I didn't get it. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!