Monday, August 11, 2014

The Day I Met Suzie

Chris Higgins

16166098
Summary:
‘My boyfriend could get into trouble if he gets caught. He could go to jail.’ I moan softly. ‘So could I.’
‘Anything you tell me is completely confidential.’
I sigh deeply. ‘I wouldn’t know where to begin.’
‘At the beginning?’ she says.
So that’s what I do. I start at the beginning like she says.
The day I met Suzie.
As Indie tells her story to the person on the end of the phone, she realizes that her life changed the day she met Suzie.

Plot:
I thought this was a very interesting story, but there was a few things I would’ve liked to be different. I would’ve liked a little more conversational type writing, as the story was being told verbally. While this story was interesting, it wasn’t as fascinating as it could’ve been. (Just like this review?). I actually really liked that the story was about debt and financial troubles, which is something different as far as YA literature goes.

Characters:
I honestly didn’t like any of the characters in this book. The main character was too naive, and while she learned she changed completely as the book progressed, and I didn’t think it was realistic as all. The villian wasn’t explained very well, and I think it was supposed to be surprising that she (or he, don’t want to spoil anything...) was the villian. If so it wasn’t very well done, and the other plot twists that were supposed to come with that one wasn’t surprising either. The whole time I was shouting at the main character (in my head, I’m not crazy) that she’s being stupid and naive, but it didn’t help, until it smacked her in the face and she had to realise what was going on. I also thought Indie's boyfriend was kind of an idiot (to put it nicely), and I don't know exactly why she stayed with him...oh right...she's not that smart either...until the end of the book when she becomes a genius of course...but she still doesn't break up with him...oh well who cares?

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for strange themes and some references to violence and sex. There’s nothing too graphic. If you’re looking for a slightly more creepy book that is a little different from most other YA books, you might like this one, but I don’t know if I’ll recommend this to anyone. If you like strong characters, I don't recommend this.

My rating:
I had no connection to anything in this story, but it wasn’t so awful that I had to force myself to finish it. It was a pretty easy read. 2/5

Quote:
Nope, I couldn't find anything I wanted to put here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!