Friday, February 21, 2014

The Secret Life of Prince Charming

Deb Caletti

7572109
Summary:
Maybe it was wrong, or maybe impossible, but I wanted the truth to be one thing. One solid thing.
Quinn is surrounded by women who have had their hearts broken. She tries to be an optimist, but when she is abruptly and unceremoniously dumped, she starts to think maybe there really are no good guys out there.
It doesn’t help that Quinn’s father is back in her life. She’s always tried to see the best in him, despite his selfish and eccentric tendencies. But when Quinn discovers he has stolen more than just the hearts of the many women in his life, she joins forces with the half sister she’s never met and the little sister she’ll do anything to protect, and sets out to right her father’s wrongs. In doing so, Quinn begins to uncover what she’s really looking for: the truth.

Plot:
I thought this was an okay book overall. It’s mainly about the dynamics of romantic relationships and how to deal with different types of guys as well as family. The story didn’t really pull me in as much as I would’ve wanted it to. I feel like there could’ve been more to it than what the author gave me. This was pretty well written, and I liked the perspective and the way of writing, which was witty and funny, but not overly so.

Characters:
I did like the characters, I didn’t love any of them, and I didn’t hate any of them either. I enjoyed the main character's way of looking at life and the different perspectives from different women on love, men and relationships. I liked that the characters weren’t typical and that some were pretty strange. I also think Quinn, the main character, is very relatable.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for language and some references to sexual things. I think this might be a good book for someone with divorced parents, since that’s of the main themes, because I think it would be easier for them to relate. Also someone who’s had some pretty bad relationships might find this book interesting. I don’t think I would recommend this to someone who hasn’t been through something like that.

My rating:
While the book didn’t bore me, I didn’t connect with it, and I don’t think I’ll remember it. I don’t think it’s a bad book, I just don’t think it’s my type of book. 2/5

Quote:
The favorite lecture of some mothers was Don’t Talk to Strangers or, maybe, Look Both Ways. My mother’s favorite was All Men Are Assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!