Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Clockwork Angel

Cassandra Clare

The Infernal Devices #1

7171637
Summary:
Magic is dangerous-but love is more dangerous still
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London’s Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by – and torn between – two best friends and quickly realizes that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.          

Plot:
First of all, let me just say that the summary above really doesn’t provide a clear picture of what this story is about. It’s not a love story with some action thrown in, it’s a fantasy/supernatural story with some romance added. I really liked this story, it kept me interested, I liked the writing style, and I liked the way the author created tense moments throughout the story. My favourite part of this book, however, is the fact that it actually made me laugh at times, which I really appreciated. I really did like the characters’ wit and humor, it made the darker parts easier to bear and made the book more fun to read.

Characters:
I think the characters in this book are fascinating. None more so than Will Herondale, who is a hero at times and a total jerk at others. I’ve always liked characters that either go from bad to good, or that seem to be bad, but turns out to be good, I don’t know yet if he falls into one of these categories, but i really hope so. I liked the main character as well, she becomes a little whiny at times, but realises it herself and apologizes, which I think is much more realistic than a person who never complains about anything. I really liked Jem’s character as well, although I did think he was a bit too good to be true. I found all the characters to be intriguing and memorable, although some was more so than others.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for violence and some language, there’s no explicit sexual content, but there are some things that are implied. Some people might also have a problem with the whole angels vs. demons theme of the book, so if that’s not your thing, don’t read this. If you like YA fantasy/supernatural type books this is definitely one I would recommend.

My rating:
I really enjoyed this book, there were no times where I got bored and I finished it in a day, which is always a good sign in my opinion (except when it’s because the book was so thin...). I really liked the characters, as well as the story and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. 5/5

Quote:
'Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!