Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Host


Summary:
When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.

Plot:
I had already read this book before I watched the movie, and one thing I can say about it is that it follows the storyline pretty well. It didn’t have all the scenes of the book in it, obviously, but it stayed true to the basic storyline. It’s not a bad story, or idea, but I feel like they could’ve done a lot more with it. The acting wasn’t the best, and the story felt a little stilted. However, there were some moments that made me smile, it didn’t make me laugh or cry, but it was interesting enough that I didn’t get too bored.

Characters:
I didn’t understand why Wanda (the invader, alien thing) had to speak aloud for Melanie (the human) to hear her. As far as I remember this was not the case in the book, and it looked a little stupid, the character talking to herself all the time. I get that it would’ve been hard to know which was which if they were both just in her head, but it bothered me a bit. Most of the characters felt a little flat. There wasn’t one in particular I really connected with. Wanda is a bit too good to be true, although that is the way of the alien species. None of the characters truly stand out.

Cinematography:
Okay, it’s not wonderful, and I feel like they could’ve done so much more. But, it’s not bad.

Who should watch this:
PG-13, for some sensuality and violence. If you like dramatic teen movies, or enjoyed the book you may like this. However I feel like the book has more to offer. Don’t expect too much.

My rating:
I didn’t hate this movie, but I didn’t love it either. I would’ve liked a bit more from the overall look of the movie, and the acting could’ve been better. 2/5

Quote:
Ian: Strange world isn’t it?

Wanda: The strangest.

I'll be reading the book again, and I'll link that review here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!