Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Insurgent

Veronica Roth

Divergent #2


11735983
Summary:
I have done bad things. I can’t take them back, and they are part of who I am.
Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.
Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever… because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.

Plot:
This is a good story, with a good balance of personal issues and political problems. It answers many of the questions you had after finishing Divergent, but leave you with enough mystery to be excited for Allegiant. There is a good mix of action, romance and friendship, just enough of each to not get overwhelming, and yet enough keep it interesting.

Characters:
Tris is very different in this book. She’s no longer an innocent girl whose biggest problems are fighting in initiation. After the ending of Divergent she now has to deal with so much more, not just because of what’s happening in her world, but also because of things she’s done and choices she must make. You learn more about Tobias/Four’s past and get to know him as a character much better. There are a lot of characters, and it got a little confusing here and there, but most of them are pretty interesting. I was slightly disappointed by Tris’s brother Caleb, but I hope to learn more about that in the next instalment.

Who should read this:
13+, mainly for violence, some mild sexual scenes and very mild language. While the violence is not super graphic or gory, it’s still disturbing. If you enjoyed the first book you will probably enjoy this one. This series is definitely a must for dystopian fans. If you don’t like too much action/fighting this might not be the one for you. It’s an easy read, but like I said, the characters got a little confusing.

My rating:
This book kept me interested throughout, I felt for Tris and the other characters and I definitely enjoyed reading it. However it didn’t get me as excited as Divergent. 4/5

Quote:
“Insurgent,” he says. “Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent.”

Read my review for Divergent here! I'll link Allegiant as soon as I review it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!