Sunday, January 5, 2014

I Am Number Four

Pittacus Lore

Lorien Legacies #1


7747374
Summary:
They killed number one in Malaysia.
Number two in England.
And number three in Kenya.
John Smith is not your average teenager.
He regularly moves from small town to small town. He changes his name and identity. He does not put down roots. He cannot tell anyone who or what he really is. If he stops moving those who hunt him will find and kill him.
But you can’t run for ever.
So when he stops in Paradise, Ohio, John decides to try and settle down. To fit in. And for the first time he makes some real friends. People he cares about – and who cares about him. Never in John’s short life has there been space for friendship, or even love.
But it’s just a matter of time before John’s secret is revealed.
He was once one of nine. Three of them have been killed.
John is Number Four. He knows that he is next...

Plot:
This was a pretty good story. Some of the twists were pretty predictable, but it interested me enough that I want to read the rest of the series to see what happens next. It’s an engaging, easy read, with enough action to keep it interesting, but it’s not a profoundly intricate story that I’ll remember for a long time. Also, the romance in this story irritated me, it was sappy and unrealistic, and while it may appeal to some people I didn’t feel anything in regards to the characters or their connection.

Characters:
This is where my biggest problem with this book comes in. The characters were a little flat for my taste. Sure the main character is an alien with superpowers, but except for that the characters are all pretty one-dimensional and boring, to be honest. I would’ve liked some deeper insight into their feelings and thoughts, the only time you get this is when something very sad happens. This was the only part of the book that really captured my attention and made me feel something. I do like one of the characters that come in later in the story (trying not to spoil anything here), and I look forward to learning more about her in the next book.

Who should read this:
10+, mainly for language and violence. There is very little sexual content, mainly just two teens making out, but there is a bit of mild language, and some alien-fighting stuff going on. If you want a light, easy read with a bit of action you might enjoy this, but I feel like there are better options.

My rating:
I liked this book. I didn’t love it and it’s not perfect, but it’s an enjoyable read. It reminds me of why I like reading Twilight, no need for concentration, just relaxation. 3/5 (I’m also fascinated by the author’s name being included in the book, I really want to read more about that in the rest of the series)

Quote:
“When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.

If I watch the movie I'll link the review here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!