Wednesday, January 22, 2014

An Act of Love

Alan Gibbons

10583048
Summary:
Seven-year-old Chris and Imran are sworn blood brothers.
Ten years on they are treading separate paths. The spectre of terrorism has wrecked their friendship. It has changed their lives and could even end them.
A story of two ordinary boys growing up in an extraordinary time - our time. A time of terror, when atrocities don’t just happen in TV reports about people in far away places.
Rioting, fighting, maiming and killing are happening here, on our doorstep.

Plot:
This is a very good story. It offers perspectives from all walks of life, religions and races on the same events, and teaches a simple lesson: that we’re all human. It has its tense moments, moments that make you smile, and some that are pretty sad. There is some mystery, and you’re not always sure which of the characters to trust, but it never gets confusing. The writing is simple, yet beautiful and very realistic.

Characters:
This is probably the best part of the book. I really enjoyed reading about the two main characters. They grew up together, but because of their different beliefs grow apart. However, once you get to the end of the book you realise that, even though they weren’t exactly speaking to one another, their stories still share similarities and parallels. All the characters are flawed, but they’re all pretty relatable.

Who should read this:
13+, this story is about war, so obviously there are some violent scenes. There’s very little sexual content, but some language. If you like historical fiction, but want something that’s easy to read this is a good choice. If you’re looking for a happy story, this is not the one for you.

My rating:
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn’t bored once, I liked the characters and I feel like this is a better-than-average piece of fiction. The only reason I won’t add this to my favourites is because it’s not my favourite genre or type of story. 4/5

Quote:
‘What breaks inside the child that makes the man so flawed?’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!