Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This Present Darkness

Frank Peretti

Darkness #1


Summary:
Ashton was not a big town, or important – just a name on the map. Yet it was here that three very different characters would face the hardest tests of their lives.
Marshall Hogan-an ex-city newspaper editor with an eye for a story and a nose for something rotten.
Hank Busche-the young pastor of  a small church in danger of tearing itself apart.
Tal-captain of the angelic warriors summoned to make a stand against an encroaching tide of evil and deception.
Each one fighting an enemy that was callous and clever, often hidden, never asleep. And each one needing the others more than any would dare to believe.

Plot:
This is an intriguing story. The little town and all it’s mysteries and secrets, now threatened by a force of demons, it’s all very interesting. The details and way the story comes together is wonderful. You can tell that the author really put a lot of thought into how his story will progress. It keeps you interested, answering questions and then posing new ones, keeping you guessing, but not to that annoying level some books tend to take it to. I would have liked a little more romance, or just chemistry between the characters, but I understand that that might have distracted from the actual story.

Characters:
The characters are all very interesting, but not the main focus of this book. They do develop, grow and learn, but the story is not about them, they make the story happen. I liked the ones I was supposed to like, and disliked the ones I should. There are a lot of characters, and it can be a bit confusing at the start, but you soon get to know them. I would have enjoyed some deeper insight into their thoughts and feelings, but they were all very good at making the story work.

Who should read this?
13+, there are some references to mature content, as well as quite a bit of violence, but none of it is very graphic. However, this is a Christian fiction book, and the whole demons vs. angels thing may not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you find that kind of thing interesting, then definitely read this book. This is not a light, quick read, so be warned, it may take up a bit of your time.

My rating:
I enjoyed this book, and the idea behind it. The writing was good, the storyline interesting etc. But I don’t think I’ll be adding it to my favorites. This is because I enjoy getting to know characters, their emotions and thoughts, when I read a book. And although I can totally appreciate this style of writing, it’s just not my personal favorite style. So based purely on that I’m giving it a 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I'm always open to suggestions. Just no mean/vulgar comments please!